Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Tetris Baby Blanket

Did anyone else play massive amounts of Tetris when they were younger?  My brother played lots of video games, all of which I sucked at, but Tetris I could kick some butt in. (Don't even get me started on when I would try and play Mortal Combat with him.)  It was also the only game that my Dad would play, so the game has a special place in my non-gamer heart.

I play much better than this.
When my sister's friend, Krista, announced that she was expecting I was super excited. Firstly, because Yay baby! Secondly because I love making crafty baby things. Now Krista and her hubby Steve are very hip, and I knew that an ordinary baby blanket just wouldn't do.  While searching online for wonderfully nerdy patterns that could also translate for a baby, I found this Tetris blanket pattern.
The pattern is an intarsia, which is a skill I have yet to learn, but since it is a simple block pattern, I figured sewing together squares would still look good.
I didn't want to do granny squares (not that they aren't fabulous) because I thought it would be too whole-y for a baby.  So I went on a hunt to find a square pattern that would work and found this awesome washcloth pattern and got to work.
Goober 'helping' me crochet.
Confession time; I usually lack the patience to finish any crochet/knitting project that's larger than a hat (I also have trouble knitting the second mitten once I finish the first).  Phew!  Now I feel better.  Thankfully around the time I started crocheting the squares TNT started showing repeats of the The Mentalist for what seemed like all day, everyday.  I got hooked and so did my yarn! It took my about a month, but I finished all the squares and sewed it together.
Enter Krista's baby shower.  

The shower was peanut themed. So. Cute.

There were baby pictures of Krista and Steve on each table.
And the glowing Mama-to-be.
Krista has a hilarious blog on her pregnancy here.  You should definitely check it out.
Here's the completed Tetris blanket:

I loved how it turned out!  I think it's perfectly nerdy.  I wanted each shape to be outlined so I sewed the individual shapes with the same color then sewed it all together using yellow yarn.
I had a great time at the baby shower and a great time making the Tetris blanket for little peanut. : )

Also HAPPY THANKSGIVING!  I'm thankful for my adorable nephew Garrett who has his first Thanksgiving today!

What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment