Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Jo's Scarf

My aunt Jo is where I get most of my crafting inspiration!  She's the one that originally taught me how to crochet when I was younger and how to knit around the time I was starting high school.  Jo is definitely the one I look up to for all my crafting and she has crocheted a blanket for me and each one of my siblings along with her other relatives.
Throwback Thursday! My gorgeous Aunt holding an infant version of me.
It wasn't until a recent trip to her house when she was showing my mom and I a crocheted afghan that someone had made for her.  She said that it was one of her most treasured items because she always made blankets for everyone but it was the only time that someone had made something for her.  It had (stupidly) never occurred to me that she would like something handmade just as much as the rest of us!
I had been thinking about doing something for my aunt for a while but, since she lives in South Carolina, most of the things that I usually make (hats especially) are a little too warm and I needed a pattern for something that was a more lightweight that she could use when it gets a bit chilly.
Enter The Purl Bee. This infinity scarf had been in my extraordinary long "to-do" list for a while (please tell me I'm not the only one that who saves almost every pattern that I like knowing I couldn't possibly make them all), and it seemed like a classy-looking stitch (my aunt is a very classy lady).  It was also a stitch I hadn't tried yet and I was excited to try it out.
I wanted to add a little embellishment so I crocheted an edging with some sock yarn I had.
Sorry about the cropping, it was not the greatest pic of me. : )
I really liked how it turned out and my aunt loved it, so it was a success!  I actually really enjoyed learning the herringbone stitch and I'm currently working on a scarf for myself, so I'll post it as soon as it's done.

Does anyone else remember the fad when it was suddenly "cool" to learn how to knit and everyone (well, every girl) was bringing their knitting to class?  I definitely remember thinking that I knew how to knit years before they did (it was the closest I'll ever be to hipster).

What's your favorite handmade gift?

No comments:

Post a Comment